The Town Centre was the first refurbished as part of Council’s Thriving Town Centres Program (2004). A variety of shops and services are surrounded with timed on-street parking. Rail and bus services also provide access to the shops.
Banksia is named after Joseph Banks, a botanist on the Voyage of Discovery of James Cook which visited the nearby Botany Bay in 1770. Originally part of a 1850’s land grant, the area developed with the opening of the rail line in 1906.
– Gardiner Park
– Banksia Post Office
– Banksia Baptist Church
– Banksia Hotel
– National Film and Sound Archive
Banksia shopping centre consists of a small group of shops which include Banksia Bakery, a take-away shop, a convenience store, chemist, Australia Post and a number of hairdressers.
More shops and commercial developments are located on the Princes Highway. Many of the commercial developments are part of an automotive precinct featuring car yards, auto accessory retailers, tyre shops and auto repairers, other businesses include hotels and various take away food shops.
Banksia railway station on the Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line of the Sydney Trains network. Banksia is also serviced by bus routes 400 and 410 that run between Burwood and Bondi Junction via Eastgardens.
Distance to city
Distance to airport